It began with my alarm. Or lack thereof.
I rolled over from a soon forgotten dream, looked at the clock and realized I should have been up 30 minutes ago.
I hopped out of bed and the mad-dash began.
Clothes? Check.
Hair brushed? Check.
Make-up somewhat decent? Check.
Teeth brushed? Check.
Deodorant? Check.
Backpack? Check.
All the essentials covered.
I ran out the door at 8:05, jumped in my car and headed for class.
It wasn't until I was in my car that I realized I had forgotten something very, very important. More important than brushing my teeth or looking nice.
My morning devotions.
Part of my mind tried to rationalize and excuse the behavior...
I was running late. I had things I needed to do. I couldn't be late for school.
But I was convicted. Less than 24 hours after listening to my pastor remind us how remarkably important it is to be in The Word everyday. Less than 24 hours after I talked with a girl from church about how much more time I wanted to spend studying the Bible. 24 hours and one rushed morning later, and that's all out the window.
Why is it that when I'm running short on time, my devotions are the first thing to be cut out?
My time with God should be such a key, routine part of my morning, that its something I do even when I am running on autopilot.
What could be more important than spending time with my Lord and Savior before my day begins?
I want to get to the point where praying, reading The Word and meeting with my God are as natural and necessary to me as breathing. I need to prioritize Jesus over my physical appearance, because who cares how my makeup looks if my heart is filthy?
It's never going to be easy for me to get up early in the mornings to make time for my devotions. The night-owl that I am will probably always struggle with it. But Jesus is worth it. And everything that I do in this life is pointless if I am not doing it to glorify Him and it's so hard to remember that if I don't get my head and heart aligned with His first thing in the morning.
So here's my confession– Starting my day off with time in The Word is something I struggle with and fail at often. But I know there's grace for that in Jesus, and that He loves me enough to meet with me wherever I am. Even if that's just 15 minutes in prayer while I'm in my car driving to school. I also know there's strength to overcome early mornings if I am willing to put the work in.
And here's my challenge– Put Jesus first. Make spending time with Him each day your default mode. Fall in love with your Bible and treasure time with the One who loves you more than you can imagine.
And if you see me, hold me accountable. Ask me if I read my Bible that morning. Ask me what God showed me in The Word that day.
Matthew 4:4
"Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Joshua 1:8
"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success."
No comments:
Post a Comment